Your daily waste is killing our planet. Stop being part of the problem and become part of the solution.
Educate. Inform. Act.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Don't take too much comfort from your recycling bin.

I found this video to be very disturbing. As a big supporter of recycling, it made me realize that instead of remaining comforted by the "warm and fuzzy" feeling of taking my blue bin to the curb, I need to focus on decreasing my consumption and demand for plastic products. Recycling may keep a small percentage of items from floating in the Pacific Ocean, but it does not guarantee any less of a negative environmental impact in the long run. Unfortunately for most companies, financial shortcuts don't usually fall well below genuine environmental concern on a list of priorities, so the only way to guarantee that the plastic bottle you threw in the recycling bin won't end up in the ocean or a landfill in China is to never purchase it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment